Brave New Midnight (UIUC)
Coil Experience Changes from Base Books
After a lengthy deliberation, we have decided to change the way that the experience costs for the Coils of the Dragon work. Previously, all Coils stacked when determining the experience cost of your next Coil. Now, every Coil will be purchased as a separate Out-of-Clan Discipline, with Downtime costs that increase based upon your total number of Coils in that particular branch.
- Example 1: Daemien Valentine has Coil of the Beast 1 and wishes to purchase the Coil of Banes 1.
- In the old system, this would be his second Coil purchase, costing him (7 * 2) = 14 xp.
- In the new system, this is his first Coil of Banes, so it will cost him 7 xp. (Costs 1 DT)
- Example 2: Clark Gibson has Coil of the Beast 1 and Coil of Blood 1. He wishes to purchase the Coil of Blood 2.
- In the old system, this would be his third Coil purchase, costing him (7 * 3) = 21 xp.
- In the new system, this is his second Coil of Blood, so it will cost him 14 xp. (Costs 2 DTs)
- Example 3: Wu Wei has Coil of Blood 1, Coil of the Soul 2, and Coil of the Beast 2. He wishes to purchase the Coil of the Beast 3.
- In the old system, this would be his sixth Coil purchase, costing him (7 * 6) = 42 xp.
- In the new system, this would be his third Coil of the Beast, so it will cost him 21 xp. (Costs 3 DTs)
We are making this change for the following reasons.
- The Coils are very difficult to balance due to the fact that they mitigate weakness of being a Kindred. If the Storytellers emphasize these weaknesses too much, game can become less enjoyable and people can feel that it is necessary to be an Ordo. If the Storytellers do not place much emphasis on these weaknesses, the Coils become very ineffective and weak relative to other Covenant-specific powers.
- Purchasing a Coil impedes your ability to purchase more Coils due to the fact that the costs scale upward. No other power in game scales in this way – purchasing a Ritual does not impede your ability to purchase future Rituals.
- Many of the best Coils are at the first dot level (Coil of the Beast 1, Coil of Blood 1). Because of the way Coils scale, most characters cannot afford to purchase many coils beyond the usual ones. This causes most characters in the Ordo to have the exact same Coils as others. By reducing the experience cost of purchasing additional Coils, now characters can further define themselves by what they purchase beyond the usual ones.
- This is analogous to seeing what Theban Sorcery rituals are purchased beyond the usual ones (Vitae Reliquary, Hauberk of Blood, Legionnaire’s Blessing, etc.) as well as what Cruac rituals are purchased beyond the usual ones (Cheval, Touch of the Morrigan, Deflection of the Wooden Doom, etc.).
- Changing the experience cost in this way seemed to be the most simple way to rebalance the Coils. While more complex systems may have been better (and could have fixed the fact that many of the best Coils are dot 1), we wanted to make this as simple as possible.
Do note that Coils will now cost Downtimes to learn, much like Rituals cost Downtimes to learn. We believe that the fact that the Downtime cost of Coils scales with your total number of coils in that particular branch should discourage characters from purchasing a bunch of now-cheap first level Coils as a way of inflating their rank within the Ordo Dracul. In addition, the Downtime cost encourages mentor-apprentice relationships, which are a crucial aspect of how the Ordo Dracul operate according to the genre.